Call for Nominations: The 2023 CGS/ProQuest Distinguished Dissertation Awards
UNM Internal Nomination Packages due: May 31, 2023
UNM Graduate Studies is seeking nominations for the 2023 CGS/ProQuest Distinguished Dissertation Awards. Sponsored jointly by ProQuest Dissertations Publishing and Council of Graduate Schools (CGS), these awards are made annually to individuals who, in the opinion of the award committee, have completed dissertations representing original work that make an unusually significant contribution to the discipline.
2023 Award Information and Fields of Competition
Two CGS/ProQuest Distinguished Dissertation Awards, each consisting of an award of $2,000 and a certificate of recognition, will be presented at the CGS Annual Meeting Awards Luncheon on December 7, 2023, in Washington, D.C. Reasonable travel expenses of award recipients will be covered. The 2023 CGS/ProQuest Distinguished Dissertation Awards in the following fields:
- Biology and Life Science: biology; botany; ecology; embryology; entomology; genetics; nutrition; plant pathology; plant physiology; anatomy; biochemistry; biophysics; microbiology; pathology; pharmacology; physiology; and related fields (health sciences). Also included are agriculture, forestry, zoology; and related fields.
- Humanities and Fine Arts: history; philosophy; language; linguistics; literature; archaeology; jurisprudence; the history, theory and criticism of the arts; ethics; comparative religion; and those aspects of the social sciences that employ historical or philosophical approaches
If a dissertation is multi- or interdisciplinary in nature, a significant portion of the work must be comprised by at least one of the 2023 fields of competition.
- UNM may submit two nominations (one nomination from each field).
- The effective date of degree awarded, or the completion of doctoral degree requirements and dissertation, must lie in the period of July 1, 2021 to June 30, 2023.
- The nominated dissertations must be available in the ProQuest database.
How to Submit a Nomination Package
Please send a complete nomination package as a single PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 31, 2023. The complete nomination package must include the following four components in this order.
- A completed nomination form (please fill out top nominee information).
- An abstract of the nominee’s dissertation (not to exceed five double-spaced pages). Appendices containing other material, such as charts, tables, and/or references, may be included as additional pages (not to exceed five pages).
- Three letters of recommendation evaluating the significance and quality of the nominee’s dissertation work. One of these letters is to be from the nominee's dissertation supervisor, another from a member of the nominee's dissertation committee, and the third from a person of the nominee's choice.
- The nominee’s curriculum vitae (not to exceed five pages).