Doctoral Degrees - Graduation Requirements
- Students must follow the UNM Catalog in place at the time of their admission, plus any additional departmental requirements.
- Students should check their academic records (LoboWeb) at the end of each term to ensure that his/her status, degree program, grades and GPA are correct and in compliance with University policies.
- Students must meet the general degree requirements published in the UNM Catalog.
- Students are required to pass a doctoral comprehensive examination. The Announcement of Examination form must be submitted to Graduate Studies a minimum of two weeks before the scheduled date of the examination. Students must be enrolled and complete a minimum of one hour of graduate credit in the term they take the comprehensive examination and must be in good academic standing.
- Students must submit an Application for Candidacy (AC) listing all the courses that apply to their degree. The form should be filed the term the student passes the comprehensive examination and no later than the last day of the term before the student intends to graduate.
- The student is Advanced to Candidacy (All But Dissertation/ABD) by the Dean of Graduate Studies in the term when all the following criteria have been met:
- The doctoral comprehensive examination has been passed;
- Graduate Studies has approved the Application for Candidacy;
- Language/skill requirement (if appropriate) is satisfied; and
- Graduate Studies has approved the Appointment of Dissertation Committee form.
- The student must notify the degree program of his/her intent to graduate the term prior to the term of graduation. The student should confirm additional deadlines with his/her program.
- The student must defend his/her dissertation. An Announcement of Examination form must be submitted two weeks prior to the dissertation defense date. The dissertation must be submitted no later than 90 days after passing the dissertation defense, or the term graduation deadline, whichever comes first.
- The student must satisfy degree requirements (defended and submitted dissertation) by the deadlines of July 15 for summer graduation, November 15 for Fall graduation, or April 15 for Spring graduation.
- The student must complete a minimum of 18 hours of dissertation/699. Once a student begins enrollment in 699 s/he must enroll in 699 every term (summer term is excluded, except if the student is graduating in the summer) until the manuscript is accepted by Graduate Studies.
- The student must meet all dissertation requirements. Please refer the Graduation Checklist form. The dissertation must be submitted no later than 90 days after passing the dissertation defense, or the term graduation deadline, whichever comes first. Manuscript formatting guidelines are available through the Preparing Your Manuscript Tutorial and the Formatting Guidelines page.
- The student who misses the term graduation deadline, but completes degree requirements by the last day of that term may choose to follow the Courtesy Policy.
NOTE: Deadlines that fall on a weekend or holiday are automatically moved to the end of the next business day.