Graduate Research Supplement
The Graduate Research Supplement awards up to $2,000.00 to facilitate completion of the MFA or PhD dissertation. These awards support direct expenses incurred for archival or field research explicitly conducted off campus. This award may not be used for stipends, books, travel to conferences, or equipment expenses. Awards are based on major accomplishments since entering graduate school, a well-defined and successful program of research, a timeline for completion of the dissertation, a 500-word personal statement, two letters of recommendation, and approval by the graduate unit. Each department may submit one nomination for this award.
Eligible graduate students must be in good academic standing and ABD at the time of application and pursuing advanced research and writing on a dissertation or creative/professional project in their discipline. Students must be registered as full time in the spring semester of application and must be returning full time the following fall, with an expected graduate date of that fall or the following spring semester. No student will be awarded the Rogers Research Project Grant, Graduate Research Supplement, or the Doctoral Conference Grant in the same funding semester.
Submit nominee and all accompanying application documents addressed to the Graduate Research Supplement Committee by April 9, 2021 to:
Senior Operations Manager, Graduate Studies
University of New Mexico
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
Applications must be submitted by the student’s home department. Only one submission per department will be considered. The department must submit the application documents and materials addressed to the Graduate Research Supplement Committee by the deadline.
Materials to be included in the application:
**Please note number 8 - Export Control takes 1 week to get reviewed and approved.
- A 500- to 750-word statement of purpose describing the nominee’s academic goals and accomplishments, as well as explaining how the award will be used and how it will facilitate completion of the dissertation.
- A current C.V.
- A detailed budget.
- A timeline for completing the proposed work and for completing the dissertation.
- A letter of support from the nominee’s dissertation director.
- A letter of support from the department chair or program director.
- An IRB approval form (if applicable).
- **International Travel – Approved Export Control Review form.
- International Travel – GEO Review form: This form does not have to be turned in at time of application submission, but must be submitted and approved before travel to be eligible for reimbursement if awarded. If you have any questions about completing this requirement, please contact: Global Education Office (GEO) at 505-277-4032 or StudyAbd@unm.edu. The GEO representative will send confirmation you have completed this step.