Apply today!
Graduate Studies

MSC 03 2180
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001

Physical Location:
Humanities Building
Suite 107

Phone: (505) 277-2711
Fax: (505) 277-7405

  • UNM
  • >Home
  • >Prospective Students
  • >Admissions Criteria

Admissions Criteria

Domestic Applicants

  • Must hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in the United States or its equivalent in another country.
  • Some academic units at the University of New Mexico will admit students with a bachelor's degree directly into a doctoral program, though many admit only students who have earned a master's degree within the same or a different program at the University of New Mexico or at another accredited institution.
  • In general applicants must present a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 (B) or its equivalent in their last two undergraduate years and in their major field.
  • Must indicate all academic institutions they have previously attended on their applications. Failure to disclose any previous college attendance or any other misrepresentation of the record may result in disciplinary action, including revocation of admission to the University.
  • Ordinarily, the minimum undergraduate prerequisite is 12 semester hours of upper division course work (300-level courses or higher) in the major field to which the student is applying, or in cognate areas.

International Applicants

For eligibility requirements to University of New Mexico, please visit the Global Education Office website.

Undocumented Applicants

New Mexico State Bill 582, passed by the legislature in 2005, states that “A public post-secondary educational institution shall not deny admission to a student on account of the student’s immigration status. ” Pursuant to that bill, the University of New Mexico considers applicants for graduate programs, regardless of citizenship, based upon academic merit and achievement.  UNM graduate programs admit and enroll undocumented students and may use private funds, when available, to provide financial aid to support their studies in a manner consistent with applicable laws.

SB 582 also grants in-state tuition rates for students “who have attended a secondary educational institution in New Mexico for at least one year and who have either graduated from a New Mexico high school or received a general educational development certificate in New Mexico.” For tuition purposes, in-state tuition is granted to undocumented graduate students who meet the eligibility requirements for SB 582.

To apply for some forms of financial aid administered consistent with state and federal regulations, undocumented graduate students may complete a paper form of the FAFSA and submit it directly to the Financial Aid Office.

For further suggestions on how to navigate graduate and professional school, careers, and life after completing a baccalaureate degree, see the useful guide written by Iliana Perez, Life after College: A Guide for Undocumented Students. For more information, see the Educator for Fair Consideration website at

The scholarship of teaching refers to the study of teaching practices and effectiveness and incorporates the scholarship of discovery, application and teaching. Some campuses have had CASTL-like programs for 30 years as university populations became more diverse, says Deese-Roberts. “Recent centers are reactions to retention issues and national reform efforts to look at undergraduate education. CASTL will help faculty learn more about and adapt to classroom needs,” she says.

Departmental Criteria

Departments often require more extensive or more specific preparation (consult individual graduate unit requirements).

Non-Degree Status

The name Non-Degree may seem to imply that the courses are non-credit, but that is not the case! Non-degree courses are the very same credit courses in which degree-seeking students enroll (chosen from the UNM Schedule of Classes).

Since the Non-Degree Credit Program is an academic unit, students are subject to all UNM regulations governing registration, attendance, and academic standing (see current UNM Catalog for further details).

  • Students in Non-Degree are typically not eligible to receive financial aid. An exception may be made for Non-Degree students enrolled in courses necessary for admittance into a degree program, or for teacher certification.
  • All credit hours earned in Non-Degree are recorded on the students' permanent transcripts and may be applied to a degree plan if the courses meet degree requirements and are approved by the faculty in the academic program.
  • Students who hold a baccalaureate degree may take an unlimited number of courses in Non-Degree status. However, students taking graduate level courses with the intent to transfer into a graduate degree program should consult with the departmental graduate advisor of their intended major for information on the number of Non-Degree credits that will transfer into the program when the student is admitted. For more information on applying to graduate school, contact the Non-Degree Academic Advisor at 277-2631
  • Students who have been previously enrolled at UNM in degree status as an undergraduate student but have not earned an undergraduate degree are not eligible for Non-Degree status.

Please feel free to pose questions and discuss issues pertinent to your academic career and Non-Degree status. Be aware that this format is NOT confidential. Comments you make will be viewed by other current and prospective students. Therefore, do not include personal and/or confidential information such as your social security number in your posts. If you have questions that required personal details and attention, please contact the University College Advisement Center by phone: (505) 277-2631.

The University College Advisement Center is located in the Student Services Center, Room 140 - (505) 277-2631

Non-Degree Graduate Student Services Office Hours: Monday - Friday 8 am-5pm