Graduate Dean's Dissertation Fellowship
To provide one year financial assistance to students nearing completion of a terminal (PhD, EdD, or MFA) degree.
Eligibility for Nomination
Candidates will be considered only through nomination by their academic unit. They must be in the process of writing the dissertation, and anticipate completion by the end of the following year. Previous Recipients/Nominees will not be eligible. Recipients of the award (not alternates) may hold upto a .25 graduate assistantship assignment during fellowship year.
Graduate units may not submit more than one nomination in a given year. Nomination forms must be accompanied by:
- finalized committee membership
- a transcript of the candidate's graduate work.
- a 3 to 5 page dissertation proposal, summary, and timeline
- a statement written by the candidate, describing the impact of funding in ensuring that the student completes dissertation within the year and contributions of dissertation to academics from other fields
- letters of support from the candidate's major advisor and the graduate unit chair or faculty coordinator, including information directly related to the issue of completion and the ability of the student to complete the dissertation within the year (2 letters needed).
- IRB (submitted)
- The UNM Dean's Dissertation Fellowship Nomination Form
Please submit nominations to Margaret Gonzales (email@example.com).
The stipend consists of $8,000 for the academic year. This award does not cover tuition or fees. Half of the award is given in the fall semester. Recipients are required to submit a written progress report at the end of the fall semester. The spring term stipend will not be disbursed until the progress report is submitted.
Nomination materials must be received at Graduate Studies no later than 5:00 p.m. on March 9, 2018. Nomination materials are evaluated based on the quality of statement and and letters of support, including the ability to convey contributions of the dissertation to other fields, financial need, and ability to complete the dissertation within the year.
For additional information contact Margaret Gonzales at firstname.lastname@example.org