Graduate Dean's Dissertation Fellowship
To provide one year financial assistance to students nearing completion of a terminal (PhD, EdD, or MFA) degree.
Eligibility for Nomination
Candidates will be considered only through nomination by their academic unit. They must be in the process of writing the dissertation, and anticipate completion by the end of the fellowship year. Previous recipients/nominees will not be eligible. The Dean’s Dissertation fellow may hold up to a .25 graduate assistantship assignment during the fellowship year.
Graduate units may not submit more than one nomination in a given year. Nomination forms must be accompanied by:
- Finalized dissertation committee membership
- A transcript of the candidate's graduate work.
- A 3 to 5 page dissertation proposal, summary, and timeline
- Current CV or resume (list all previous funding awards)
- A statement written by the candidate, describing the impact of funding to facilitate the completion of the dissertation by the end of the fellowship year and describing how the dissertation will contribute to other fields in academia.
- Letters of support from the candidate's dissertation chair and the graduate unit chair or faculty coordinator, including information directly related to the issue of completion and the ability of the student to complete the dissertation by the end of the fellowship year (2 letters needed).
- IRB (submitted)
- The UNM Dean's Dissertation Fellowship Nomination Form
Please submit nominations to Margaret Gonzales (email@example.com) no later than 5:00 PM on the first Friday in March.
The stipend consists of $8,000 for the academic year. Half of the award is given in the fall semester. Recipients are required to submit a written progress report at the end of the fall semester. The spring term stipend will not be disbursed until the progress report is submitted. The previous practice of providing each nominee a scholarship will be discontinued due to funding limitations.
Nomination materials must be received at Graduate Studies no later than 5:00 p.m. on the first Friday in March. Nomination materials are evaluated based on the quality of statement and and letters of support, including the ability to convey contributions of the dissertation to other fields, financial need, and ability to complete the dissertation by the end of the fellowship year.
For additional information contact Margaret Gonzales at firstname.lastname@example.org.