Fulbright Hays Fellowship

Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Fellowship


This federal (U.S. Dept. of Education) program provides funds for travel expenses, dependents allowances, research-related expenses and health insurance premiums for doctoral students who have advanced to candidacy and are planning a career in teaching. Recipients must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, in good standing in their doctoral program in modern foreign languages and area studies, and have adequate skills in the language necessary to carry out the dissertation project. This program provides grants to colleges and universities to fund individual doctoral students. The UNM representative and contact person for this program is the Dean of Graduate Studies. UNM Applicants must submit proposals per the guidelines available at the below referenced link. This funding cycle has Competitive Preference Priorities.

The application period for 2021 is now closed.

Fulbright-Hays Official Website


The Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad (DDRA) Fellowship Program provides opportunities for doctoral candidates to engage in full-time dissertation research abroad in modern foreign languages and area studies. The program is designed to deepen research knowledge and increase the study of modern foreign languages, cultural engagement, and area studies not generally included in U.S. curricula. 

Program Features

Students may request funding to support overseas research for a period of no less than six months and no more than 12 months. Funds support travel expenses to and from the residence of the fellow and the country or countries of research; maintenance and dependent allowances based on the location of research for the fellow and his or her dependent(s); an allowance for research-related expenses overseas; and health and accident insurance premiums. Projects may focus on one or more of the following geographic areas: Africa, East Asia, Southeast Asia and the Pacific Islands, South Asia, the Near East, Central and Eastern Europe and Eurasia, and the Western Hemisphere (excluding the United States and its territories).

Eligible Applicants

Institutions of higher education (IHEs) in the United States are eligible to apply for grants under this program. As part of the application process, eligible students submit their individual research narratives and application forms to their home IHE. The IHE compiles all eligible individual student applications for inclusion in the institutional application that is submitted to the U.S. Department of Education. A student is eligible to receive a DDRA fellowship from their IHE if he or she

  • is a citizen, national, or permanent resident of the United States;
  • is a graduate student in good standing at an IHE;
  • is admitted to candidacy in a doctoral degree program in modern foreign languages and area studies at that institution when the fellowship period begins;
  • is planning a teaching career in the United States upon completion of his or her doctoral program; or
  • possesses sufficient foreign language skills to carry out the dissertation research project.