Skip to main content

Getting Started at UNM

Student Health and Counseling (SHAC) provides health and counseling services to all UNM students. Students are not required to have health insurance to be seen at SHAC. However, SHAC strongly recommends that all students have health insurance to help defray the costs of health care.

SHAC provides health insurance to students enrolled for six or more hours per semester. For more information on health insurance and services provided by SHAC visit Student Health and Counseling (SHAC).

On Campus Student Housing
Click here for information about campus housing rates, family housing and eligibility.

Off Campus Housing Resources
Please note: The University of New Mexico does not screen nor make any determinations about the properties listed in this publication. The University is not liable for damages or responsible for resolving disputes between tenants and landlords resulting from advertisements placed in these listings.

The Lobo Card allows you to

  • Check out materials from the libraries
  • Receive discounts at the UNM Bookstore (on specified items only)
  • Attend athletic events
  • Use the Student Health Center
  • Take advantage of recreational services (Johnson Center)
  • Access campus meal plans
  • Use as a debit card at specified restaurants both on and off campus
  • Access user-activated options for the card, including use as a bank debit card, ATM card, and telephone calling card
  • And beyond

Visit the Lobo Card Office Website for more information, and for instructions on how to obtain your card.

Students are responsible for notifying the University of any changes in name or address. Addresses can be changed using Demographic Self-Service (DSS).

To change your address:

  1. Log on to with your NetID and password.
  2. Click on the “Demographic Information” link. This will take you to a new page in which you can view and update your current address information.
  3. You can also follow other links on this page to change your directory information or your email display name.

Parking on UNM campus are limited, but if choose to drive to campus you’ll need a parking permit. A variety of alternative transportation choices are available, including a free city bus pass for UNM students.

The University of New Mexico complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Copies of and information about the Rights and Privacy Act are available in the Records and Registration Office, Student Services Center, Room 250.

Directory information may be released to the public unless the student has requested that the information be withheld. Directory information includes: the student’s name, address, e-mail address, telephone listing, date of birth, major field of study, full or part-time status, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, most recent previous educational agency or institutions attended by the student, participation in official recognized activities and sports, and the weight and height of members of athletic teams.

Students who wish to have “directory information” withheld must show a photo ID and submit a written request for such status to the Records and Registration Office in the Student Services Center, Room 250 by the end of late registration for any semester.

Each student must create a UNM NetID. Your NetID and password provides access to various online services. You need a NetID to:

  • Use your UNM email account
  • Register for classes
  • Buy a parking permit
  • Take online classes via WebCT
  • Check your financial aid
  • Additional computer and network services.

Click here to create your NetID.

When you create a NetID, a UNM email account is automatically created for you in this format: <your netid>

For more information on the NetID, visit the UNM NetID Maintenance Page.

Note: International Students are required to attend a mandatory orientation with GEO (Global Education Office) before they can create a UNM NetID.

To remain in good academic standing students must maintain a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 in all courses taken for graduate credit after admission to a graduate degree program at the University of New Mexico. For more information, including guidelines for probationary status and incomplete grades, visit the Graduate Catalog.

“Time-to-Degree” refers to the time taken to complete all degree requirements, from the point of admission to graduation.

Most master’s degrees require 30 to 36 semester hours. Students enrolled full-time with continuous enrollment may potentially complete their degrees in 18 months to 2 years. The average completion rate is generally 2 to 3 years.

Doctoral degrees require at least 48 hours of coursework beyond the bachelor’s degree, plus 18 units of dissertation credits. Students enrolled full-time with continuous enrollment may potentially complete their degree in 3.5 to 5 years. The average completion rate is generally 4 to 7 years in disciplines which do not require previous professional employment in their admissions decisions.

The University’s specific time limits for both master’s and doctoral degrees are as follows:

Time Limits – Master’s Degree Students:

Student’s seeking master’s degrees at the University of New Mexico must complete all requirements for the degree within seven (7) years from the date of the earliest course listed on the Program of Studies. No course work older than seven years at the time of graduation may be included as part of a student’s Program of Studies. An exception will be considered if, and only if, a) some catastrophic event beyond the student’s control occurs in the last semester of the seventh year following completion of the earliest course work, and b) the student would have graduated had the event not occurred. In such cases, students may petition the Senate Graduate Committee for an exception.

Time Limits – Doctoral Students:

All doctoral students are required to take a doctoral comprehensive examination that usually takes place at the time when coursework for the degree is completed and the student is ready to begin the dissertation. Once students pass the comprehensive examination, they have five (5) years to complete all degree requirements, including the defense of the dissertation and submission of the dissertation to the Graduate Studies office.