Graduate Research Supplement
The Graduate Research Supplement awards computational up to $2,000.00 to facilitate completion of the MFA or PhD dissertation. These awards support direct expenses incurred for archival or field research explicitly conducted off campus. This award may not be used for stipends, books, travel to conferences, or equipment expenses. Awards are based on major accomplishments since entering graduate school, a well-defined and successful program of research, a timeline for completion of the dissertation, a 500-word personal statement, two letters of recommendation, and approval by the graduate unit. Each department may submit one nomination for this award.
Eligibility: Eligible graduate students must be ABD at the time of application and pursuing advanced research and writing on a dissertation or creative/professional project in their discipline. Students must be registered as full time in the spring semester of application and must be returning full time the following fall, with an expected graduate date of that fall or the following spring semester.
Application materials. Submit nominee and all accompanying application documents addressed to the Graduate Research Supplement Committee by April 1, 2018 to
Senior Operations Manager, Graduate Studies
University of New Mexico
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001.
Applications must be submitted by the student’s home department. Only one submission per department will be considered. The department must submit the application documents and materials addressed to the Graduate Research Supplement Committee by the deadline.
Materials to be included in the application:
- A 500- to 750-word statement of purpose describing the nominee’s academic goals and accomplishments, as well as explaining how the award will be used and how it will facilitate completion of the dissertation.
- A current C.V.
- A detailed budget.
- A timeline for completing the proposed work and for completing the dissertation.
- A letter of support from the nominee’s dissertation director.
- A letter of support from the department chair or program director.
- An IRB approval form (if applicable).
- For travel outside of the country, Please submit approved document: International Travel - Export Control review form.
- Registration with GEO can be done here.
NOTE: If you are traveling internationally and are awarded, you must submit certification from the office of Export control to receive reimbursement.
Additionally, students traveling internationally will need to register their travel at https://studyabroad.unm.edu/section/independent-study-abroadacademic-travel-regsitration. If you have any questions about completing this requirement, please contact: Global Education Office (GEO) at 505-277-4032 or StudyAbd@unm.edu. The GEO representative will send confirmation you have completed this step. If you do not complete this step for international travel, you will NOT receive any reimbursement even if awarded.If you have any questions, please contact Margaret Gonzales at firstname.lastname@example.org.