Doctoral Conference Presentation Award and Publication Award
Please note: Due to UNM’s Covid restrictions on professional travel and the state of New Mexico’s health order on limiting travel, Graduate Studies has temporarily suspended all funding for conference and research travel until further notice. Instead, to continue to support graduate student research, the Conference Presentation and Publication Award will be offered to defray professional costs for remote conference participation or certain costs related to publication.
The Doctoral Conference Presentation and Publication Award provides up to $300 to defray costs for doctoral students (MFA included) to give remote oral presentations or posters at national or international, professional conferences. Funds may only be used for conference application fees; professional membership dues, if required for presentation; and $50.00 toward the one-time purchase a web-camera. No travel or travel-related expenses (meals, lodging, airfare, or car rental) will be accepted.
Alternatively, graduate students may request up to $300 to defray costs toward the completion of an accepted publication. Funds may be used for purchasing of data programs; transcription or translation programs; professional manuscript preparation expenses; submission or publication fees, plus required membership dues for publication in professional journals; permissions, digitizing, or reprint charges; or other fees related to the publication of work. No travel or travel-related expenses (meals, lodging, airfare or car rental) will be accepted, and funds cannot be used for the formatting, completion, or submission of a dissertation. Funding proposals must be for research projects already accepted for publication.
Applicants cannot apply for both forms of funding.
Eligible students must be in good academic standing and enrolled in a doctoral or MFA program at the time of application. Students must be registered as full time for Fall and Spring funding, and to be eligible for Summer the student must have been full-time in the Spring. No student will be awarded the Rogers Research/Project grant, Graduate Research Supplement, or the Doctoral Conference Presentation and Publication Grant in the same funding semester.
Note: You may receive only one (1) grant per funding period: Summer Funding Cycle through Spring Funding Cycle. This includes the Fall Cycle.
Doctoral Publication Award
Applications will be accepted only once with the following deadline: November 1, 2020, for work accepted for publication.
Doctoral Conference Presentation
Applications will be accepted for Spring, Summer and Fall semesters with respective submission deadlines:
- Fall Semester Application Deadline: Extended to November 1, 2020 for conferences held between August 16 - December 31, 2020
- Spring Semester Application Deadline: February 5, 2021 for conferences held between January 1 - May 14, 2021
- Summer Semester Application Deadline: May 21, 2021 for conferences held between May 16 - August 15, 2021
- Completed application form
- The conference announcement showing acceptance as a presenter; or affirmation of research publication acceptance or agreement.
- A statement of applicability of the conference or publication to the student’s doctoral/MFA program (include Banner ID).
- An abstract of the paper or poster to be presented or piece to be published.
- A letter of support from Ph.D. or MFA advisor/committee chair.
- An itemized budget of the conference registration fees; professional membership dues (if applicable); and web-cam order information. Or an itemized budget of proposed publication-related expenses.
Please submit a complete application by 5:00 PM on the deadline date. Please note incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
No extension will be allowed due to issues with US postal services delivery. Email is the best submission method.
You may submit your application by email (preferred method) to Margaret Gonzales (firstname.lastname@example.org) or to the address below:
Sr. Operations Manager
University of New Mexico, MSC03 2180
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
Note: Graduate Studies is not responsible for informing applicants of incomplete/incorrect applications. If at the deadline date at 5:00 pm an application is incomplete or incorrect, it will not be reviewed for funding.
Notification will be sent by email to your UNM email address. If you would like to inquire about award, you can email Margaret Gonzales (email@example.com).