Doctoral Conference Presentation Award
Please note: Graduate Studies will not reimburse for canceled travel costs (airfARE, hotel, conference registration, etc.)
The Doctoral Conference Presentation Award provides up to $1200 to fund travel for doctoral students (MFA included) to give oral presentations or posters at national or international, professional conferences. Funds may only be used for travel expenses, lodging, meals, and conference application fees. Applications will not be accepted for research travel. Travel must be outside of Albuquerque. If you are traveling internationally, you must get approval from the Office of Export Control and submit with your application. **Please note Export Control takes 1 week to get reviewed and approved.
Additionally, students traveling internationally will need to register their travel here. This form does not have to be turned in at time of application submission but must be submitted and approved before travel to be eligible for reimbursement if awarded. If you have any questions about completing this requirement, please contact the Education Abroad Office at 505-277-4032 or StudyAbd@unm.edu. The representative will send confirmation you have completed this step.
Eligible students must be in good academic standing and enrolled in a doctoral or MFA program at the time of application. Students must be registered as full time for Spring 2023 (6 graduate credit hours with an assistantship or 9 graduate credit hours without an assistantship). No student will be awarded the Graduate Research Supplement and the Doctoral Conference Presentation Grant in the same funding semester.
Note: You may receive only one (1) grant per funding period: Summer Funding Cycle through Spring Funding Cycle. This includes the Fall Cycle.
Applications will be accepted for Summer 2023 semester with the following deadline:
- June 2, 2023 for conferences held between May 15, 2023 - August 15, 2023.
Materials to be included in the application:
- Completed application form
- The conference announcement showing acceptance as a presenter.
- A statement of applicability of the conference to the student’s doctoral/MFA program (include Banner ID).
- An abstract of the paper or poster to be presented.
- A letter of support from Ph.D. or MFA advisor/committee chair.
- A detailed budget. No per diem. If you will be requesting food reimbursement, you must provide itemized receipts. Only one entree will be reimbursed. Alcohol will not be reimbursed.
- International Travel – Approved Export Control Review: Click here for form
- Export Control Guidance
- Foreign Travel Vulnerability
- If you have any questions, please contact Jessica Villescas-Hermosillo (firstname.lastname@example.org) at the Export Control Office.
- International Travel – Independent Academic Travel Registration: This form does not have to be turned in at time of application submission, but must be submitted and approved before travel to be eligible for reimbursement if awarded. If you have any questions about completing this requirement, please contact the Education Abroad Office at 505-277-4032 or StudyAbd@unm.edu. The representative will send confirmation you have completed this step.
Please submit a complete application by 5:00 PM (Mountain Time) on the deadline date. Please note incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Notification will be made by email. If you would like to inquire about the award, you can email Margaret Gonzales (email@example.com)
No extension will be allowed due to issues with US postal services delivery. Email is the best submission method.
Sr. Operations Manager
University of New Mexico, MSC03 2180
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
Note: Graduate Studies is not responsible for informing applicants of incomplete/incorrect applications. If at the deadline date at 5:00 pm (Mountain Time) an application is incomplete or incorrect it will not be reviewed for funding.